The Monterotondo estate is located within the heart of the Chianti country, in Gaiole, and the homestead dates back to 1056. Monterotondo was established in 1959 by the grandfather of the present owner, Saverio Basagni, after which it became a hobby for Saverio’s father. Since 1994, Saverio and his wife Fabiana have been managing the property as their principal activity.
All the vineyards were replanted, resulting into a vineyard extension today of 3.5 hectares (all within the Chianti Classico appellation) – 3 hectares of which are planted with Sangiovese and 0.5 hectares planted with Canaiolo, Malvasia Nera and Colorino.
The cellar has been completely renovated over the years and is equipped with stainless steel vats and a bottling plant. The wines rest for a period of 12 months in oak casks of a capacity of 7.5 and 10 hectoliters.
The philosophy of the estate is to make excellent wine without the use of chemicals; in fact, Monterotondo has been certified organic since 2003.