Founded in 1854 by the descendants of the Duke of Lancaster, Herdade da Calada hides between the hills of Alentejo. Surrounded by cork trees and eucalyptus, the historic beauty and elegance remain preserved. In addition to 35 hectares of vineyards, the property is also home to 110 hectare of olive grove, 60 hectare of grain, 215 hectare of cork tree, as well as multiple water dams. Herdade da Calada is a traditional Alentejo Estate, located in the district of Évora. Although quality winemaking is the primary mission of the property, a strong agricultural component remains in the form of olive oil and cereal production. One could also expect to happen upon herds of cattle, as cattle breeding is also a function of this estate.
The philosophy of the winery is to maintain the characteristics and natural character of all indigenous varieties. With a gentle and careful approach to winemaking, the goal is to produce a wine of complexity, typicity, and one which reflects its beautiful origin.
The estate encompasses 420 hectares of land though only 35 are occupied by vineyard. The low production is not an accident; rather a fatality. A conscious choice has been made to focus on quality rather than quantity, with the promise of producing top wines made from indigenous grape varietites in harmony with the region and nature. The vineyard of Évora are located in the center of Alentejo and exhibit Mediterranean clay soils and a hot and dry landscape which is typical of the region.