In 1928, Francis Usseglio left his native Alba, Italy (Piedmont) to seek work in the vineyards of France. He found work as a field hand in Châteauneuf-du-Pape, where, after 12 years of work, he purchased several acres of land to begin making his own wine. The first bottle of ‘Vin Francis Usseglio’ was sold in 1949.
In 1954 Francis’ son, Pierre, took over the winery and quickly set out to increase the family holdings. After 11 years of return visits and being denied (politely!), Alain Junguenet was able to purchase the first order of Domaine Pierre Usseglio NOT bottled for Luxembourg. It was the 1990 vintage.
In 1996 Pierre’s sons, Jean-Pierre and Thierry, assume ownership of the winery together after years of running their own estates nearby. The brothers purchased vines in the Côtes du Rhône AOC, just south of Châteauneuf-du-Pape, in 2004, as well as 6 hectares in Lirac in 2011.